Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Fence prep and irrigation experiments

This weekend, we all spent both days labouring the yard. With temperatures in the mid-20s, it was a great time to work outside.


Our major task was to remove the hedge on the south property line in anticipation of the fencing company arriving Monday morning to start the last stage of the garage renovation project from last year. We'd hoped to have everything done last fall, but construction dragged on until snow fall.


The hedge was alpine currant and ran 60 feet. It was up to six feet thick and five feet high. I started on Wednesday night to prune out sections and managed to spasm something in my back. Fortunately, there were reinforcements available. Saturday, Jenn and Jess removed most of the hedge while I hauled the branches behind the garage to dry out (we'll burn them over the summer).


Everyone was exhausted as the was a huge project. Sunday, I was back in the game and we managed to removed the strangler pieces and chop the stumps back to ground level. This very much opens up the yard!


On Monday, the fencing company arrived and set the metal poles. These will get capped with square white "posts" and the white vinyl panels will then get set in place. Today's torrential rain (with snow tonight!) has pushed that back. There was also some hand waggling about suppliers and availability. Once the new fence is up, we'll be planting raspberries and other fruit bushes on the outside of the fence, which means we need to fiddle about getting the stumps out.


I did some weeding Saturday and the Saskatoons were in full bloom.


I've been experimenting with new watering techniques. This bed is big enough that I can basically water in the valleys with a five-gallon pail filled from the water barrel behind it. I will see if I can find a hose to attach to the barrel, which would be even better.


I've also arrange the eight potatoes beds so they can be watered by bucket. There is a slight slope and a light raised edge to each bed so the water flows into the the low spots and sinks in.


While weeding, I found a $5 bill in the dirt. My assertions that weeding paid, we greeted by hoots of derision and the suggestion atet I'd just found my own $5 that fell out of my pocket last year. Which is probably true. Washed up okay, though. 


I will be short handed this year as Jess goes off to forest ranger camp in High Level for the summer. We've been slowly collecting her gear and do some basic strength and endurance training.


The snow has me a bit worried for the blossoms. Lots of apple trees are flowering. I'm hopeful the temperature does not drop too low.


I plan to put in the rest of the flowers plus some herbs and tomatoes and peppers this coming weekend. And also plant some peanuts and some second sowings of onions, carrots, beets and maybe beans and sunflowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment