Sunday, July 11, 2021

Drying herbs

The heat wave has continued this week (>+30C every day), with heavy daily waterings being necessary. The pansies in the front just finally gave up and the strawberry crop cooked on the vine. Other plants are really loving the eat, including the basil. I've never had basil this good!

I culled about 25% of each plant the other day and then hauled out the new food dehydrator. This all cooked down to a large spice jar, which should be almost a year's worth of basil. The next cutting will go into some pesto.

I also did a cull of the mint and oregano and dried enough for next year. I'm going to try dehydrating pineapple this afternoon.


The tomatoes are starting to show some fruit (I think this are Roma). No fruit on the pepper plants yet but they are growing really well. I may try them in a raised bed next year.


I've done some additional seeding (lettuce and such) where plants have either given up or been harvested. With last nights rain and milder temperatures, I'm hopeful this lettuce will last a bit longer before bolting. the garlic scapes are also almost read to harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment