Saturday, July 29, 2023

Peas, tomatoes, watermelons, tomatoes, pumpkins

I spent quite a lot of time aggressive weeding the garden post-vacation and things are now much more in hand. We're also starting to see some meaningful amount of produce!


I picked a gallon of peas last night, shucked them and then blanched and froze them this morning (maybe four cups in the end). We also have some stupid tomatoes ripening.

By the garage, we're starting to see some progress with the watermelons. Not every flower is being fertilized but there are few. I think, with two months of summer left, we might get some melons!

The tomatoes are also ready plentiful and a few are beginning to redden. I imagine later August will be the bonanza time this year.

The pumpkin patch is entirely overgrown (four plants!) and has climbed the raspberries and worked its way through the fence into the neighbour's yard. There are a few five-pin bowling ball sized pumpkins growing. Good thing the raspberries are starting to wind down, because picking is challenging. I'be got four gallons in the freezer for jamming this fall.


Some the climbers are also making their way up the trellis we built, albeit slowly. I think this is a cucumber.

I'm having better luck with bell peppers this years. movie them up to a hotter bed has done the trick.

I also harvested two spaghetti squash in the hope that the plant would make some more. I hauled the dehydrator out last week to put away some dill weed.


The bees are enjoying the sunflowers that the birds planted. The sunflowers I planted are well behind. 


And the corn is likely a bust this year. Probably not enough light in the bed I choose. Maybe next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment