Thursday, July 13, 2023

Pumpkins, scapes, and berries

We're back from a week's vacation to find the garden has very much grown! The pumpkin patch has really jumped up and I'm hopeful for some good-sized squash this fall. I also had to retire a rain barrel and ended up running the eaves into the pumpkin patch. Happily, I managed not to cut myself on the sheet metal.


The garlic scapes needed to come in so I cut 40 or 50 this morning, blanched them and then froze them for future use. 

I also cleaned off most of the Saskatoons and put a gallon away in the freezer. The raspberries are just starting to ripen so we've been eating them fresh with ice cream and I've been putting some away in the freezer for jamming. It looks like we'll have a lot of berries this year.

It looks like we'll also have a good crop of tomatoes and even a bunch of bell peppers. I wish the watermelon would grow a bit more and set some fruit. That might be a bust this year. The corn is also looking a bit behind. Maybe it is not getting enough sun so I'll try a different bed next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment