Well, September got away on me, mostly because we were busy actually harvesting and processing what we grew this year.
Despite the wet, wet summer, the heat loving plants have started producing and I expect we'll get a few squash to add to the cucumbers and tomatoes we picked this week ahead of cooler temperatures.
We've had a pretty decent crop of root veggies. Most of the potatoes are now in and cured. I left some beets out to maybe get a frost. I also turned the rest of the basil into pesto and froze that.
I split the carrot harvest into those we'll eat fresh and a bunch that I blanched and froze. There are also a few left outside so we can maybe eat fresh carrots into November.
This also gave me the impetus to clean up the preserves closet. I only ended up tossing three jars of ancient jelly (fire weed).
This week, Jess and I are planting some fresh bulbs in the front yard as well as next year's garlic crop. The problem we're grappling with is a nest of very angry wasps (think Tasmanian Devil swarms) in the daylilies that border the sidewalk. So we'll get half of what I wanted planted and I guess we're waiting for a hard frost to finish this job!
The rest of our work this fall is doing some bed reclamation from aggressive raspberries in the back.
Hopefully, we get enough time this fall for me to make some progress here.











No comments:
Post a Comment