Harvest has begun to ramp way up! After a cold and wet summer, the heat of August is moving things along.
I was sure cucumber crop was a bust but suddenly, we have dozens of tiny cucs growing. Some are these small, ball-like ones. Others are these more traditional field cucumbers.
The plum trees are also starting to bear, albeit the crop is still pretty small as the trees are young.
The tomato plants are also beginning to provide a few to eat.
There is also a large patch of sunflowers that I had nothing to do with planting.
The garlic finally dried enough that I could trim them up and then they returned to the garage for another few weeks of curing. I will probably plant next year's crop towardws mid-September.
We have been carefully thinning the carrots and this is paying dividends in terms of big-ass carrots at the end of the season. Mt hand span in 9 inches (thumb to pink) and most that we have harvested have been in this range.
Our early apple tree is loaded. I picked over 600 apples just standing on the ground. There ar eprobabky another 200 or so I can get with the ladder.
We have made pie filling, sauce, and multiple crisps. We've also given a couple of hundred apples away. The late tree is looking similarly loaded.
It got so crazy I had to go buy more jars!
I hope to dig some potatoes next week an start cleaning up some of the beds for the winter.
No comments:
Post a Comment