Sunday, October 28, 2012

Planning for next year

With a rather dreary winter day ahead of us, we decided to take some time to plan next year's garden. I've been doing some of that in my head as I dug the beds and thought about crop rotation and what would work well where.


On the east side of the property (behind the garage) we have five raised beds. These are mostly in the alley and, to my surprise, most of the onions I planted and a lot of the beans walked off this summer. So think low-value root vegetables are the ticket here. So we're going to do three beds of carrots (so about 450 plants), some zucchini (help yourself!), green beans and beans for drying as well as swiss chard and basil.

In the backyard, some of the beds we recovered will have potatoes and the rest will have squash (not sure on the type yet--I like butternut but never seem to get any fruit). This year's potato bed will host sunflowers, beans, onions and garlic and then some yellow/purple beans and peas.

The "bad" beds out front will have more yellow and purple beans (as I work on improving the soil) and peas. The raised beds on the side will see tomatoes, peppers, celery, cucumbers and more beans. We'll do lettuce and spinach under new cold frames.


We also carved the pumpkin today. The seeds are washed and drying. If I get ambitious, I will roast them tonight since the oven will already be hot from the potatoes. A quick review of the cold room sees us with lots of potatoes and no obvious signs of rot.  Now off to sweep the walks.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm surprised that you had veggies "walk off".... isn't that something? Great job on the pumpkin - your daughter looks pleased as punch!

    I checked on my potatoes and some of them are rotting already... gah! Must sort through them so we don't lose a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a bit strange, especially since it was immature onions and beans. Maybe they were just too tempting as the had nature handles? I suppose whomever took them must have really needed them! Good luck keeping your potatoes sorted--I am certainly finding that the larger ones seem to do better than the smaller ones.

    ReplyDelete