The last few weeks have been busy but rainy. The good news is that the blackberry bush has flowered with all the moisture and I think we'll get a good harvest this year. Blackberry jam is one of my favourites and blackberries don't seem to like our climate (they were basically weeds in Ireland).
I've been busy preserving what we've been picking. I did a quick batch of raspberry jam as I was running out of room in the freezer.
We also blanched and froze a bunch of asparagus. I didn't dry the stalks for soup flavouring this year as there is still lots left from last year.
I spent some time converting the strawberries we picked into strawberry-rhubarb pie filling.
I also mixed a bunch of strawberries in with Saskatoons picked from a neighbour's bush and made some pie filling (which is also lovely over ice-cream).
The flowers have been disappointing this year but the poppies came back.
Last night, we harvested the first of the potatoes, as the plants died down last weekend. These are blue caribe that we planted from last year's harvest after they went leggy in storage.
I think we harvested about a third of the potatoes (rest are later variety) and got about 40lbs. These are sitting the garage firming up a bit.
We also harvested the onions from the front. It was a terrible year for the onions, with most being small or just failing to do anything. The garlic harvest was better and they are still curing in the garage.
I'm busy splitting irises out front and making room to move the rhubarb and some soil around as we prepare for construction of a new garage.
We have a lot of traditional dallies in bright orange. These are a darker variety and I have to say I'm surprised how they bloomed. They're pretty but obviously some different stock.