Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Berries, peas and scapes

We're back from a short vacation and berry season has begun. I thought the raspberries would be a washout this year because of the insane heat wave. The crop is diminished and the berries are smaller. But there are some to put on top of ice cream.

I've also been picking saskatoons and have frozen about gallon for baking in the winter.


We harvested most of the first sowing of peas this week. Some we ate fresh and the rest I blanched and froze. I did a second sowing late in the year (after the zucchini didn't come up) so we might get a second crop in mid-August. Fortunately, the heat has diminished some so I'm not spending an hour a day watering.

It was also garlic scape time. Sorry the picture is blurry. I gave a lot of these away to friends. We flash blanched about 20 and then blended them into some pesto were were making. This has been tasty in top of pasta. I may also make pizza with it.


The next few weeks look a little slower. I'm weeding a lot, trying to get he tomatoes to come around, and thinning out the carrots. Ive also been doing bunch of succession planting with lettuce and other short-season crops.

No comments:

Post a Comment