Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Asparagus, rhubarb, peas and irises

I've been a bit negligent with the updates but I have been busy in the yard with weeding and such. Here is a quick round up!


I planed about 50 feet of peas and they are slowly growing. These plants are a ways behind the peas in sunnier spots but I think they will do okay. In front of them I planted a bunch of lettuce (various types to get rid of old seed packs). I expect we'll have a huge harvest in late July.


The potatoes are also up and some are flowering early. Looks like a good showing so far--could use some heat to warm the soil a bit.


The strawberry plants is starting to really get going and I am hopeful we'll have a good harvest. If it works out, I will make a couple more next year.


I bought one asparagus at the farmers market. I blanche dit and froze it for winter pizza. I think desiccated the stalks in the dehydrator and powdered them to add to soups.



The rhubarb is having a good year! I took a bug early cutting and front maybe four litres of chopped rhubarb. This might go into pie filling or maybe into muffins,



The cucumbers in the sunny raised bed seem to be settling in and there are even a first few flowers. A bit more heat would help here. We've had lost of water in June (rain barrels are overflowing).


Around front, the squash is just getting started but the perennial flowers are starting too put on a show. The irises are out. As are the daisies. The dallies should be a long shortly.


The raspberries really seem to be thriving with all of the water they have had so I expect a bumper crop this year with the extra 70-odd feet of canes producing. If I get some time this weekend, I will do some minor household repairs. I feel really on top of the weeds so far this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment