Saturday, July 23, 2022

Cucumbers, pesto, and carrots

With most of our summer travelling done, I have been spending more time in the yard. I found three cucumbers where I started investigating why the plants weren't climbing the trellis. Having liberated them from making cucumbers, they have started climbing.


The raspberry bushes have really come into their own in the last few days, with two big picks done and down in the freezer. The newer bushes are growing well on the south side but we'll have to wait until next year to get a good crop off of them.


This heirloom poppy has returned in a couple of different places in the yard.


We've also had two good picks of peas that we have eaten fresh.


Last week, I topped the garlic and turned the scapes and the first flush of basil into pesto.


These twelve frozen pucks will feature on pizzas and pasta this winter.


I also thinned one of the four rows of carrots and washed them up for eating.


The tomatoes seem to have recovered from the rough start this spring and are looking like they will be good producers. Could use a bit more heat, I think.


The squash plants out front have finally started to vine and flower so I'm hopeful for a good harvest of pumpkins and butternut this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment