Monday, September 19, 2022

Apples, garlic, carrots

We're headed into harvest season so I have called out reinforcements. Jessica was up the ladder to pick the early apple tree.


We ended up with 60 or 70 pounds of apples and most were of good size.


A bunch went into crisps that are either in the freezer or in my belly.


I dried 18 apples in the dehydrator, filling five one-litre jars.



I then sauced about seven litres full. We'll do more saucing and some apple butter with the second tree after a frost.





Watching the weather. we've also started doing some selective harvesting. We pulled in the ripest half of the cantaloupe harvest. The rest need more time on the vine.


We also culled about a third of the tomatoes. There are still lots on the plants but this will be plenty if we get an unexpected frost.
 

I harvested a bed of potatoes during the week then amended the soil and graded it for garlic next year.
 

Jess got pressed into some stoop labour to get sixty cloves in before the rain last night.


Jenn has been helping me dig carrots.


The carrots are crazy-big this year.


Jenn also helped me pull down the pea trellis on the inside of our fence and till the soil a bit. On the outside, I cut a small new bed for next year to run some scarlet runner beans up the outside.


Hopefully, we'll get a long enough fall that I can get ahead on some of the processing before we have to pull the tender stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment