Sunday, July 19, 2026

Garlic scape salt and more rain

The rainy weather had continued, with July being on pace to get another foot of water. This was the scene at the intersection north of us last night after we got almost 40mm in two hours.


The garden has struggled with all of the water and the lack of heat. Some stuff has done okay. It is, for example, garlic scape season.


I gave a bunch away this year and turned my share into garlic scape salt.


Basically, chopped scapes mixed with coarse salt and pureed into wet, green sand.


After an hour of desiccating in the oven on low with intermittent stirring, I ground up the result.


And voila, garlic scape salt. Tastes a lot like commercial garlic salt but more garlicy.


The raspberries are beginning to produce some and the saskatoons are also ready for picking. I'm eyeing up the pantry and how much jam I still have some last year.
 

We are seeing some nice flowers.


And, happily, the last of the potatoes have blossoms after I feared half my crop was lost after they just didn't come up for ever.



The peas are also about ready to pick (maybe tonight if it doesn't rain).


We;ve been having our deck replaced and are now far enough along that I re-attached the pea trellis and planted a late sowing of peas behind the potatoes.


I've also been eyeing the potentially huge apple harvest and trying to finish using up last year's apple pie filling and apple sauce. This morning I made a crisp.

I see I also have kale to harvest tonight if I can brave the mosquitoes. The last few days have had a little bit of heat and the basil and tomatoes seem to be appreciative as well as the cucumber and squash plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment