Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Apple saucing

After spending Saturday morning making sour cherry jam, I whipped over to our friend's house to pick some of the apples that were causing their tree to droop to the ground. These made lovely apple sauce last year so I hauled out the half-litres jars and started cutting.


The saucing itself goes quickly, but the endless peeling, slicing and coring was quite a chore. In the end, we made 24 jars (12 litres) of sauce. I also donated about 10 pounds to Ronald McDonald house when I took over the Operation Fruit Rescue Edmonton (OFRE) cherries.


I'm done saucing for now (out of jars!) and the top shelves of the kitchen cupboards are starting to look pleasantly full of jams and apples sauce. The tomatoes are starting to ripen in the backyard and I;m hoping to set up an OFRE apple pick next week so I expect to be back at canning shortly. There is also a fair bunch of berries occupying freezer space that need to be jammed.

No comments:

Post a Comment