Monday night we turned some of the rose hips we gathered into jelly. I used an internet recipe requiring pectin. The taste is fine (citrus-y) and the colour is lovely but the jelly did not set up at all. My sense is that this was a bad recipe (such is the internet!). It is a nice syrup to add to oatmeal, though.
With the weather turning autumnal (mostly rain, which is welcomed), I think we'll focus on pulling in the rest of the root crops (beets and carrots, mostly) and readying the beds for next year. I've called an arborist to quote on cutting down a diseased mountain ash our front and topping an ornamental cherry in the back.