Thursday, March 13, 2014

Signs of life in the yard!

Today was a beautiful spring day--warm enough to go for a walk at lunch in shorts (and a light parka...). I ran into two coyotes out for a mid-day stroll.


The cold frames on the south side are heating up and I could get my fingers down about an inch or so today. The temperature inside was about 20C. I have a couple of packs of spinach seeds that say "plant when soil is warm enough to work." I wonder if this qualifies?


The strawberries are often the first things growing. They tend to overwinter quite well. Above you can see an immature shoot from last year coming back to life. And below is a brand new shoot poking up through the snow.


The raised beds behind the garage are often the first to thaw out. These had two solid feet of snow on them on Sunday (I stood on it to clean the eaves) and will likely be free for snow by Saturday. Still a ways to plant anything (except maybe some beet seeds).


Around the front, I found what I think is a tiny violet that has self-seeded everywhere just getting going.


I expect this will be a quiet weekend, although if the roads thaw a teeny bit more I will get my bike out. The Xmas lights are all down. I may also prune back on of my hedges--I'd like to replace it over time with raspberry and saskatoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment