Sunday, May 28, 2023

Corn and Saskatoons

The corn I planted a few weeks back has finally started to germinate. This is very exciting. The stuff that is up is an heirloom variety with jewel-coloured kernels. I also planted some peaches and cream corn last week, which is still thinking about coming up.

The asparagus bed is not really yielding much asparagus but there is a huge bloom of something. I though arugula but it doesn't look right. Facebook gardeners suggests poppies. That was one of my guesses, although I can't imagine how they ended up there and so thickly. I did dump a bag of commercial manure in the bed. Maybe it came in with that?

Out front, the yellow-flowering ground cover is spreading nicely. I finally called it and chopped down the crab apple tree that has been doing poorly for a long time.


The saskatoons are setting berries and looking pretty good this year. The potatoes are also up out front.


I'm hopeful to get a first cropping of spinach off this week and then maybe I'll seed in some more lettuce and cilantro. The melons and squash seem to be doing alright in the heat. I'll be happier when the tomatoes start to look a bit bushier. Some are doing great. Some are not.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment