Monday, May 8, 2023

Early planting

We've had a very warm start to May (two days over 30 degrees in the first week) and there is no real risk of frost in the forecast. The garden has reacted to the heat by jumping up. The garlic was just barely up last week and is now four or more inches high. The onions and spinach have also emerged.

Jess headed off to Banff on Saturday so we decided to plant out the tomatoes before she left. They were just on the cusp of being leggy. We put in 30 plants keeping a few back (more for lack of space)


I need to get a few more tomatoes cages before the rest (and the peppers) go into the ground. I filed in behind most of the tomatoes with scarlet runner beans that can climb the trellis.

Spring has been so sudden that the bulbs are just starting to flower. Looking forward to seeing the tulips we planted out front.

I went out tonight and put in some peanuts, cilantro, lettuce, and beet seeds. I' going to wait a few ore days before putting out the melons and squash. We also bought a few flowers at a garden shop.


The cherry tree is full of buds ready to make flowers It is probably a bit early to expect a crop, but I wouldn't say no. The peas are also up.

I think this week I''ll start the corn germinating. Should be ready to plant out in late May. I also need to start working my way through the freezer to clean out what is left from last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment