The weather has come around this week and I've started planting. I put in three rows of sugar beets in the back bed in the foreground. I will thin these as the season goes on so I get a few monsters for sugar in the late summer and few early ones for eating.
In the backyard, we finished the second pea trellis trellis last week and I planted peas. The left trellis has pea seeds I save from last year while the right trellis has pea seeds I bought--we'll see how that goes. I also planted about 50 feet of beets in front of the peas (a mixed packet of heirloom types) for eating and pickling.
The garlic is up about four inches and the kale has germinated in the cold frames. By contrast, the garlic in the regular bed has not moved at all! Tonight I started digging holes for potatoes. We'll stop in at Apache tomorrow and pick some up. The next big tasks is lifting some sod out front and digging a bit for a new bed.