Saturday, June 8, 2013

Irises, apples, potatoes and kale

I returned home from a short trip to the beginnings of the iris blossom. These are on the south side of the house and have come out first. The front yard should be along in a week or so.


I stood up from weeding around the dwarf apple tree and lo, to my surprise, I spotted the beginning of an apple. I don't know if we have ever had apples on this tree in five years. Maybe the pruning I did this spring kicked it into gear. It had a lot more blossoms this year than normal.


I spent some time hoeing up the potatoes and admiring the chives. I was reading a book on root cellaring and the authors suggested just digging up part of the plant in the autumn and bringing it inside for free chives all winter long. I may give this a whirl.


The kale is also up and large. Here it is with some sun-dappling and some water beads. I may blanch and freeze some of this this week. A second planting in starting to leaf out.


If I can get myself motivated, I may also make a small batch of rhubarb chutney this weekend. We'll see how I feel and what the weather is up to tomorrow. In the meantime, I need to go tie-up the tomatoes and pick some lettuce for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment