Sunday, May 25, 2014

Dandelion pesto

Pooped out from a day of gardening and cycling, I made dandelion pesto last night rather than starting on the lawn. About three cups of pesto, juice from a lemon, some pine nuts, olive oil, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. This had been on my to-do list for awhile.


Everything went into the food processor, a bit of whizzing and some more oil to thin it and done. The pesto is fairly bitter. I was able to balance this a bit with some lemon juice and hide it with a touch of sugar but still quite a lot more jarring than commercial pesto. I think the proof will be how it tastes on a pizza or some pasta. I've frozen the half cup or so it made for use later on.


I was weeding this morning and I think the Jerusalem artichokes are starting to emerge. I've never grown these so I'm guessing mostly based on placement.


We've also been visited by a local rabbit frequently. S/he can be hard to spot sometimes in the rock border of the garden. I also assume the rabbit is the one who dug up a small part of the onion bed last night (left the onions alone--just knocked them about).


A rainy afternoon sounds like a good time to read a book an see what else on my "do this summer" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment