Thursday, July 3, 2014

Peonies, saskatoons and strawberry jam

Summer has arrived with a vengeance! The peonies and bees seem to be loving it, but I forget how hard working in the sun really is.


Our Saskatoon bushes are looking to be loaded this year and are maybe 2-3 weeks away from ripening. We'll likely still need to visit a uptick but we're getting closer to self-sufficiency (with the kindly donation of a neighbour's berries).


But the strawberries have started. Jess and I took a long lunch yesterday and hustled out to Koziak's strawberry farm to get four pails. Damn, it was hot (+32)!


The berries were so warm to touch that they started to cook on the ride home and I had to ice them.


I got up early this morning to get a batch of jam done before the heat (and work) started. Is there a happier sound than the "sssssnick" of a jam lid snapping down as the jar cools?


I'm going to do another batch tonight and the set aside some to freeze so we can mix them with the Saskatoons when they ripen. And I'm going to also do a batch of strawberry-rhubarb pie filling this weekend. And finally move some raspberry canes.

No comments:

Post a Comment