Sunday, June 29, 2014

Strawberries, tomatoes and apples

The garden has really started to respond to this mini-heat wave. The strawberries are starting to ripen and this one (which Jess and I split while playing lawn darts) was delicious.


Right above the berries, the mock orange bushes are starting to blossom. These smell amazing.


We also have a bunch of cherry tomatoes forming. These I planted in the window boxes (in lieu of flowers) along with a bunch of swiss chard.


More potatoes are starting to blossom, which means spuds are forming. I promise to actually let these plants die down this year before harvesting the potatoes.


Along the south side, the peonies are blooming and attracting lots of bees (include an enormous bee the size of the first joint of my thumb).


And the dwarf apple tree has very few apples, but the ones it has set are crab apple sized already.


I hope we'll get some more time in the yard this afternoon. There is nasty corner partly obscured by the deck that has become rather overgrown. And I also have raspberry shoots to try and replant.

No comments:

Post a Comment