Monday, August 15, 2011

Oven-roasted tomatoes

The tomatoes plants have produced a huge crop of tomatoes and now the question is whether they will ripen before the frost or not. The small tomatoes are doing just fine and providing great fodder for salads.

The larger tomatoes (the big one below is the size of a softball) are still quite green and I'm going to bite the bullet and top some of the plants today.

The question will be what to do with the tomatoes once they ripen. I sauced some last year and that was a lot of work for not much outcome; salsa was a much better use of the tomatoes, I thought.

I picked up a bunch of large roma tomatoes at the farmer's market to try oven roasting. This took a lot longer than I expected (about 8 hours) due to the size of the tomatoes. But the results are amazing.

My favourite sandwich is an oven-roasted tomato sandwich on a baguette with asiago and some basil that Col. Mustard's prepares. I managed to duplicate the taste yesterday and it was all I could do not to eat two or three sandwiches!

Up next: I have some basic gardening maintenance to do over the next few days. And then perhaps we'll make relish this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment