Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Corn and Flowers

A few hot days has caused the garden to push up a bit more. The remaining peonies are finishing out their bloom and this plant bloomed for the first time this year. I'm not sure who gave it to us, but the flower is lovely.

In the back, the corn is growing. To give you some scale, the garden box is 15 inches high and the fence behind is almost six feet high. Around the base of the corn, the pole beans are start to climb the stalks and the squash have leafed out.

The zucchini plants are starting to produce, although the fruit is still too small top bother harvesting. I'm quite thrilled they are going to give is a crop this year as I got nothing last year to speak of (one tiny summer squash). Maybe better positioning this year.

The celery is also almost a foot high. I broke off a piece of the top stem by accident yesterday and had a taste and it was delicious. I've never grown celery before and I'm looking forward to make soup stock this fall with it and the onions that are beside it.

And here were have a line of noble marigold (grown from seed in the window sill) standing garden on the tomatoes.

Up next: If the big would chill out some, I'd take some pictures of a few volunteer plants that have emerged on the south side of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment